Three major fellowships are awarded:
- One of up to $20,000 in any field of music
- One of up to $20,000 in architectural design and history, art and design, theatre, dance, or instrumental or vocal music
- One of up to $9,000 in art, architecture, dance, landscape architecture, theatre, or urban and regional planning
Up to three additional fellowships of lesser amounts may also be granted upon committee recommendations.
The fellowships are to be used by the recipients toward defraying the expenses of advanced study in the United States or abroad. The fellowships are open to graduates of the College of Fine and Applied Arts of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and to graduates of similar institutions of equal educational standing whose principal or major studies have been in the fields of art, architecture, dance, landscape architecture, music, theatre, and urban and regional planning.
Although there is no age limitation for applicants, other factors being equal, preference will be given to applicants who have not reached their 25th birthday.
Fellowships will be awarded on the basis of unusual promise in the fine arts as attested by
- high attainment in the applicant's major field of study as evidenced by academic marks and quality of work submitted or performed
- high attainment in related cultural fields as evidenced by academic marks
- the character, merit, and suitability of the program proposed by the applicant
- excellence of personality, seriousness of purpose, and good moral character
While receiving a stipend from the Kate Neal Kinley Memorial Fellowship, recipients are precluded from holding appointments as instructors, lecturers, or faculty members but may hold other remunerative employment with advance approval of the fellowship committee.
The application deadline for the 2016–17 fellowship cycle has ended. Information for the next cycle will be announced at a later date.
Download the application materials.
Applications should be sent to the following address:
Kate Neal Kinley Memorial Fellowship Committee
College of Fine and Applied Arts
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
100 Architecture Building
608 E. Lorado Taft Dr.
Champaign, IL 61820