The award carries a one-time prize of $2,000. There are two options for payment of the prize:
1. A payment of $2,000 through the award payment system in university payroll to the awardee.
2. A $2,000 commitment made to a unit account for the awardee’s discretionary use for professional development, travel, supplies, equipment, etc. Equipment purchased with these funds is considered university property and when acquired for an individual’s use remains university-owned property after the individual leaves their position. See the guidelines on equipment management from the Office of Business and Financial Services for more information.
This award may go to any member of the academic staff for whom the upcoming academic year represents at least their third full year of service as primary academic advisor for their unit. An academic staff member may not receive this award more than once in any five-year period.
Note: Members of the College of Fine and Applied Arts Executive Committee are not eligible for nomination during their period of service to the committee.
Nomination & Evaluation Process
- Sustained excellence in undergraduate advising
- Major impact on undergraduate students
- Contributions to improve undergraduate advising (for example, engaging students in innovative advising activities; developing student advising materials; leading workshops on student advising; impacting other student advisers; impacting college advising efforts; or participation in advising development programs and/or contributions to the professional field of academic advising, etc.)
Nominations must include the following:
- A detailed narrative of one to two pages addressing the evaluation criteria described above. The nomination letter should indicate why the nominee is exceptional as an academic advisor of undergraduate students.
- Two letters of support from students (currently enrolled students and/or alumni).
Any staff member in FAA may nominate candidates for this award. Each nominator should check with their unit office to obtain the deadline for receipt of nominations in the unit office. The executive officer and advisory committee of each unit will review the nominations submitted and will choose no more than two candidates to be forwarded for consideration by the Executive Committee.
Nominations must be submitted by the unit executive officer to the FAA Dean’s Office to be prepared for circulation to the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee will choose the recipient of the award. Every effort will be made to give equal consideration to nominees from the various units.
The deadline for nominations is March 25.