June 23–29, 2019
Down deep you're an artist. You've been busy building lesson plans, grading projects, managing classrooms, meeting state guidelines, and nurturing young imaginations—and now it's time to tend to your own creative desires. Applications for the 2019 program are now being accepting through May 1, 2019.
Educator-artists from a broad range of disciplines live, work, and collaborate to push the boundaries of their practices. Faculty art and design mentors guide resident artists through critiques, offer challenges, make presentations, provide demonstrations, and engage in one-on-one sessions. A public exhibition culminates the experience.
The program fee includes a private room in a new residence hall, all meals, a large shared studio space, faculty mentorship, and use of School of Art and Design facilities. Additional resources such as 3D printing and laser printing are available at student rates.
We are currently accepting applications from artist/educators working in the following media/techniques: all 2D studio art media (drawing, painting, etc.); printmaking; digital design; fibers; installation; digital photography; wood; plaster; mixed media 3D (not clay).
All participants earn three total continuing education units from the University of Illinois. Graduate credit is not available for this program.
Space is limited. The following selection criteria will be taken into consideration:
- Full-time status at a public or private K–12 school
- Passion for the proposed residency project
- Compatibility with a faculty mentor
2019 Fees: $50 application fee, $500 all-inclusive program fee.
1. Prepare your supporting material, which can be cut and pasted into the application or attached as documents:
- A brief description of your proposed residency project that outlines the ideas or concepts you'll be exploring, the materials you'll need, and any tools and facilities that your project requires.
- A brief biography, an indication of the media you specialize in, and links to any online galleries if available.
- Program Alumni
- Micro-residency alumni are encouraged to reapply and return. Anyone who has participated for two or more summers is strongly encouraged to apply with a new challenge in mind, either working in a different medium or with a different faculty mentor.
2. Applicants are admitted on a rolling basis. Once the program is full, a waiting list will be started. Early application is strongly recommended, as we have had a waiting list every year of the program.
The deadline to APPLY is May 1, 2019.