Instructors, lecturers, clinical professors, and teaching professors demonstrate excellence through demonstrable positive impact on students in the classroom, influential advising and mentoring, and innovative curricular development and teaching approaches. Research professors demonstrate excellence through recognized contributions to their disciplines that also catalyze local creative and research communities to discover new ways of approaching their work. Specialized faculty also often demonstrate excellence through outstanding service at the unit, college, campus, or community level.
The award carries a one-time prize of $2,000. A $2,000 credit will be made to a unit account for the faculty member’s discretionary use for travel, supplies, equipment, partial payment of graduate assistants, etc. Equipment purchased with these funds is considered university property and when acquired for an individual’s use remains university-owned property after the individual’s position is terminated. See the guidelines on equipment management from the Office of Business and Financial Services for more information.
Anyone with a 100 percent appointment in the College of Fine and Applied Arts as an instructor, lecturer, clinical professor, teaching professor, or research professor who has taught at least four full semesters (excluding summers) on the Urbana-Champaign campus and who has not been issued a notice of nonreappointment can be considered for an award. A faculty member may not receive this award more than once in any five-year period.
Note: Members of the College of Fine and Applied Arts Executive Committee are not eligible for nomination during their period of service to the committee.
Nomination & Evaluation Process
Any member of the college may nominate candidates for this award. Each nominator should check with their unit office to obtain the deadline for receipt of nominations in the unit office. The executive officer and advisory committee of each unit will review the nominations submitted and will choose no more than two candidates to be forwarded for consideration by the FAA Executive Committee.
- For those with primarily teaching obligations: Consistent excellent performance in teaching as demonstrated through impact on students and contributions to instruction and curriculum
- For those with primarily research obligations: Sustained excellence in research activity as demonstrated through the quality of the research results—published papers, presentations at professional meetings, performances, exhibitions, and the like
Nominations must include the following:
- A one-page narrative addressing the evaluation criteria described above and detailing the particular achievements of the nominee (this narrative may be prepared by unit officers, their designates, or the original nominator)
- Measures of teaching effectiveness such as those required for promotion documents (ICES scores, summaries of peer evaluations, records of student achievements, and the like) or evidence of research impact as appropriate to the position of the nominee
- A current CV of the nominee of not more than four pages with a focus on accomplishments in teaching
Nominations must be submitted by the unit executive officer to the FAA Dean’s Office to be prepared for circulation to the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee will choose the recipient. Evaluation will be based on demonstrated excellence with every effort made to give equal consideration to nominees from the various faculty ranks and specializations.
The nomination deadline is March 25.